WORLD-SAVER SIDEBAR: CAMPFIRE STORIES ABOUT THE TEAM

I’ll keep blogging away about the methods the Team needs to save the world, but I also want to pepper this blog with my favorite profiles of, and stories about, some of our Teammates. For thousands of years, humans spent their evenings sitting around a fire, sharing experiences, ideas, and dreams (that’s why TV is such a hypnotically compelling attention-getter; because it’s a flickering light that tells stories). and So I want to tell a few campfire stories by the light of your computer.

I know dozens of Teammates now, from all over the world—some rich and famous, some obscure but amazing, all currently experiencing a sense of quickening.But the first person I want to mention is the one who convinced me the Team was real:My handy-dandy portable blond Zen master and Number One Son, Adam Beck.

I wrote a whole memoir about my experiences gestating and giving birth to Adam; he was prenatally diagnosed with Down syndrome when I was a PhD candidate at Harvard, and the entire event was life-changing for me.I had so many mystical experiences that it blew my rationalist world-view to smithereens.But there are things I didn’t put in that book, because I didn’t understand them.Now, as Team Time approaches, pieces are falling into place in the particularly spine-tingling way that things tend to happen around Adam.

Before Adam’s birth, I began believing in miracles, and this led me to hope I could magically “fix” him so that he’d be born “normal” (of course, he’s a totally normal person with Down syndrome, but I couldn’t wrap my head around that for a while).When the miracle I wanted didn’t happen, I wondered what Adam’s reason for being actually was.I never believed that he was “here to teach others,” as many people told me.I sensed he had his own life mission, but what could that be?I used to ask him, as I put him through the newborn “early intervention” exercises we did for hours every day.No answers came during the day.

But at night, when I was dreaming, Adam answered.

Dream a Big Old Dream of Me

I had a series of dreams in which my son was a 20-ish young man, without any disability.He would show me pictures drawn in lines that shone like gold under floodlights, and writing in a strange script that I’d never seen while awake, but could read in the Dreamtime.The pictures made no sense to me.They were mainly of animals, sometimes scenes from nature, occasionally people.Most of the animals were African, most of the people were black.I felt such tenderness from all of them that I’d wake up crying, and totally baffled.

These dreams were so electric that for weeks after I had one, I’d feel myself buzzing like a phone wire.I drew pictures of some of the dream images.I also tried to remember the meaning of the writing Adam showed me, but I never could—with one exception.One night I woke up knowing the English translation of the strange script I’d just seen.It was actually only a snippet of the entire document.It, like the images, made no sense at all.But I remembered it word for word, because it kept repeating in my brain like a bell, and every time it did, I’d find myself buzzing and tearing up.

I did a painting of one particularly strong recurrent dream, which (along with news about my wilderness experiences) you can see by going to YouTube and searching for “martha_in_africa”.Or, you can just click on this link:http://www.youtube.com/results?search_query=martha_in_africa&search_type=&aq=f.

The Dreamtime Meets the Daytime

Anyway, I didn’t write down the snippet from the dream for 20 years.The first time I put it on paper was after reading Dave Varty’s book about “rebuilding Eden.”We’d just had a conversation about fixing the river systems in an ecosystem—the “lifeblood” of the earth—and how it allows native vegetation to return, so that the animal populations rise.Dave and I had talked about how huge regions of Africa had been almost stripped bare of wildlife, the plants cleared for farming, the animals shot in horrific numbers.

The whole time we talked, Dave had been driving our party in an open Land Rover, past healthy herds of antelope, prides of lions, families of elephants, and all the other animal residents of a now-healthy ecosystem.I’d begun to feel hopeful about human’s capacity to save the world.Suddenly, what Adam had told me 20 years before made perfect sense.Here are the exact words from that incredibly intense dream:

The earth cries like a child,

And the blood of the animals

Is the blood of innocence.

But you (and by this I knew Adam meant “normal” people),

Having lost your innocence,

Cannot hear the cries,

Or the blood as it beats in your own ears.

It is to answer those cries

That I have come

As I have come.

I remember waking up from the dream and telling Adam’s dad, “I think Adam’s life isn’t really about humans so much as it is about the whole earth.”I thought this might be my own delusion, or at most, some mystical effect Adam would have on the ether.I still think that may be true, but I’m beginning to see that it isn’t all airy-fairy.At some point, we Teammates may be inspired to rechannel real rivers, with real bulldozers, to sponsor real preservation efforts through real-world political action, write real books in ordinary words, and so on.We’ll dream it first, but we also get to do it.

Update

I decided Adam would be my first Team Profile last week, when he did another of his mildly spooky, inexplicable tricks.At 20, he still doesn’t talk much, and it’s hard to understand him when he does.Intellectually, he’s more like a 10-year-old than a young adult.He doesn’t drive, or shop by himself.

So it was highly unusual for Adam to go to his “other mother,” my partner Karen, and say, “I need to go to the store.”

“Why?” Karen asked.

“There’s a necklace I need to get for my mom’s birthday.”

“Oh, you want to look for a necklace.”

Adam laughed.“No, not look.I need to get the one.”

“So, you already know which one?”Karen was puzzled by this, since Adam’s never been to any sort of jewelry store, or the jewelry department at the store he asked to visit.

“Yes,” he said, with absolute confidence.“I know which one.”

When they got to the store, Adam walked straight to the crowded jewelry counter and pointed right at one necklace, without any hesitancy or pausing.

“You did know which one!” said Karen, recognizing yet another Spooky Adam moment.

He’d bought me a filigreed necklace in the shape of a butterfly.Now, Adam doesn’t know that my business logo, which I just created this year, is a butterfly.He doesn’t know I use the metamorphosis of caterpillars into butterflies as a major part of my coaching.He just picked the perfect signal to let me know I was more or less on track.

He does this every birthday.When I was in debt and scared about money, he bought me a pencil that looked as if it had a $100 bill wrapped around it.When I was feeling especially vulnerable and hoping we all have guardian angels, he bought me a tiny angel pendant that I’ve worn ever since.As I put the filigree butterfly next to it on its silver chain, I remembered something I think I wrote down a long time ago, that “the butterfly is the angel of the dead caterpillar.” And so Adam reminded me that we die and are reborn, the angels to our former selves, every time life forces us to let go of our preconceptions.

Look for the Smoke Signals

I believe Team members are constantly being given little signs like this, from all over the place.One day it’s a guy with Down syndrome, the next day it’s your dog, the next day something you happen to see on television—the messages are ubiquitous.I think of them as smoke signals from the Team Leader, however you want to conceptualize that.

Who’s your Adam today?What smoke signals have you seen recently?

One more point: if you’ve read my book Expecting Adam, you know that both Adam’s dad and I, independently, started to call him “Adam” before he was born, even though we’d chosen another name for him.I wrote that this worked for me because (according to my dictionary) it could mean “man of clay,” “elder,” “everyman,” or “earth.”It reminds me, every time I speak to my son, that we are all riding in these odd physical bodies, these clay vessels, but we needn’t be defined by them.It speaks to the common lot of mortals, to our physical frailness and our vast inner resources.I like that.

But, as I put the butterfly on its chain and the chain around my neck, I thought of something else I’d never included in the symbolism of my son’s name.Though I’m not religious, I love the creation myth in Genesis, which says in part,

“And out of the ground God formed every beast of the field, and every fowl of the air; and brought them unto Adam….And Adam gave names to all cattle, and to the fowl of the air, and to every beast of the field.”

All those animal dreams, and I never made this connection, until Dave Varty’s son Boyd mentioned that what the Team has to do is “rebuild Eden.”Of course, my son is the opposite of the archetypal, biologically prolific forefather Adam.  According to my Adam, pretty much every beast of the field and bird of the air is called something like, “Grfplmumph.”(I repeat: Dude cannot talk.)All of which works perfectly for me.

Shout Out from the Portable Zen Master Himself

So I can’t say that “never in my wildest dreams” did I think I’d want to devote my life to serving the Earth and all its animals, except that my wildest dreams were hinting this rather strongly all along.What have yours been telling you?Is there an Adam in your life you may have overlooked?Ask tonight, before you go to sleep, and keep a dream journal by your bed.Write down whatever arrives, even a snippet.You may be getting your next marching orders, and they may be—will be—your heart’s desires.

I asked Adam what message he would give the Team today.(I didn’t even try to explain, just wanted to see if he got it at some spooky level.I think he knows more than he lets on, because when I did a painting of that long-ago Africa dream, I asked Adam, “Do you remember sending me that?” and he blushed to the roots of his hair.)

He gave me one of his laughing-Buddha grins and said, “Tell them they’re good.Tell them it’s all good.”

And so it is.

1. Suze
    Suze says:

Martha. Wow. This post so deeply moved me, it is beyond expression of words. I am so grateful to have connected with your blog. I look forward to hearing more of Adam’s wisdom. (And yours!)

2. Alexis Martin Neely
    Alexis Martin Neely says:

Thank you again for sharing Martha. I love hearing that you didn’t always know what your big dream was, but that some aspect of you always knew what it was.

I can sense that something much bigger is emerging from within me and I don’t know quite what it’ll look like when it comes through. I’ll continue to watch for the smoke signals as I continue my journey.

I love to hear about times when you experienced uncertainty as to whether you were following the right path because it reminds me that I will end up right where I’m supposed to be even if I don’t know exactly where that is and I can surrender into the not knowing.

3. Meg Wolff
    Meg Wolff says:

Very cool that you featured Adam, I read your book about him I LOVE this continuing story about him. You are definitely on your heart path. You have a rare gift (not just your painting!) to see beyond the obvious. It’s very exciting to read.

4. carol
    carol says:

I think it is cool that you have a life partner named
    Karen…..
    All your stories just remind me even more of how really off base much of psychology/psychiatry really are., which I have thought for a long time. (It is all in the practioner)
    I have had many occurances , but dont know the whole meaning, I just go with it when I am comfortable and it fits my beliefs…..for the most part.
    You really are my ‘sister’…..cool.

5. James
    James says:

Hi.
    I am what is euphemistically refered to in South Africa as a “previously advantaged person”, 58 year old male. I AM AN AFRICAN. I cannot hear or read former President Mbeki’s speech of that title without something within me resonating so strongly within me that it sometimes leaves me breathless. I AM AN AFRICAN.
    I read the posts and am deeply moved. Not all the criteria for being a team member applies to me. My childhood and youth were actually very pleasant, even though I nearly died twice. Once by drowning in a rain barrel when I was about 5. Luckily someone saw my feet sticking out of the barrel and pulled me out and revived me. The second was as a result of a serious case of diptheria that put me into a coma for about three weeks to a month. I also enjoyed every single day of school. I was and still am pretty healthy. I used to be a pretty good multidisciplined sportsman. In some circles known as a petrolhead. On the other hand I am moved to tears by beauty. Music, works of art, the sound of the human voice performing opera. I also enjoy Jimmy Hendrix. I read prolifically. Am constantly learning something new.
    So where am I going with this? I have no idea. I do however feel that there is something that I need to be doing.
    If all or any of this qualifies me for the team, then count me in. If not I,m watching with interest.
    Be well.

6. Deborah Trenchard
    Deborah Trenchard says:

Hi Martha,

As you may, or may not know, I was first “drawn” to you because of Adam when I saw you, and your family, on the Oprah Show some twelve, or so, years ago. This was because of my handicapped daughter, Tiffany. She was different from Adam in that she was also physically disabled. When I was about to write RAISING TIFFANY – Portrait of a Special Girl – the only book I read as a source of inspiration was Expecting Adam. I may have mentioned this to you before. I also decided to do my life coach training with you because I felt deeply (mystically) connected to you.

Recently, I had a dream. It was more a dream within a dream. And in the dream Tiffany told me that I was the one “chosen” to be at her dreathbed for another reason. At the moment I am skint!! In the deeper dream, Tiffany, turned to me and said: ‘I want you to know that what is mine is yours. You have been a great mother to me. Tell Sam (her dad) to give you my inheritance. You shouldn’t be destitute.’ And with that her face returned to its original position. Stunned, I shouted: ‘Tiffany, you can talk!! Like Adam, Tiffany’s words were few: cake, eat, drink, pee pee!! Life’s essentials!!

When I came out of my dream and looked at the clock it read 4.30. I sat up pinching myself. The inheritance was some £25,000. given to her by her paternal grandparents over the years. It is in dad’s care. After Tiffany died I raised the subject of her money, but was told it wasn’t mine. Basically, if he felt like it, I could come away with a percentage, which I thought was totally unfair because I’d given up working to look after her. This was months after her death over two years ago. The dream reminded me of the month. I’m to meet up with dad next week to discuss this dream.

I’d also like to share a similar experience I’d had regarding the choice of the name Tiffany – it’s in the book.

From the time I got pregnant, I knew it would be a girl, so I began hunting fervently for “the right” name. For some strange reason the name had to begin with the initial T. I always knew I would name any daughter of mine Sophia. I had always liked Sophia Loren: her elegance, her smile, and her charm. But the T was harder to find. Not only that, Sam had to like the name as well. The name Oliver was easier. Sitting on the bus one morning when I was about six months pregnant with him, two schoolboys got on. One said: ‘Oliver, wait for me,’ as his friend dashed upstairs. ‘That’s it, Oliver!’
    But finding the right T was not so easy. Every T I mentioned, Sam disliked: Tabitha, Tamara, Tanya, to name but a few. One day while flicking through one of my American magazines I came across someone by the name of Tiffany. I liked it. Loved it! Up until then the only Tiffany I’d encountered was the famous store! I got excited. It sounded elegant. But I thought that Sam would have rejected it out of hand saying it was “too American”.
    And the morning I mentioned the name Tiverley, the last of my researched Ts, he turned to me and said: ‘I don’t like that, but I like Tiffany!’ Apparently, his next-door neighbours where he lived with his first wife had had a daughter by the name of Tiffany and he’d always liked it.
    The name Tiffany has a very interesting etymology: it is biblical (Ecclesiastes): meaning thin gauze muslin. In old French, it’s Tifanie. The name also has its origins in Greek: Theopaneia, meaning epiphany silk or muslin that is worn on Twelfth Night. Also, God appears.
    On May 8th 1985 at 7.49, a beautiful spring morning, I opened my eyes to a blurred vision of Sam smiling as he placed my best birthday gift ever in my arms: ‘Tiffany Sophia is here,’ he said, smiling. I kissed her repeatedly. Happiness filled me as I cradled the daughter I had always dreamed of having. A star is born!

7. Deborah Trenchard
    Deborah Trenchard says:

Hi Martha,

Tiffany and Adam have another thing in common: they were both born on May 8th!!

How’s that for a connection!!

Regards from a freezing UK.

Deborah

8. Sukie Curtis
    Sukie Curtis says:

Martha, Yesterday not knowing why, I wrote a letter to you in my journal telling you all the reasons why I think I am meant to be a part of your STARs experience in South Africa, even though, of course, I have no idea, none, nada, where I would come up with the money even for the deposit. Writing that journal letter gave me great energy and undid the thought-slump I had allowed before getting out of bed. Today, I find your incredibly beautiful invitation to join STARs in my in-box, and the link to your blog. I cried almost all the way through the 2 minute video, and I’ve read all the blog posts about leadership, Adam, and so on. Some day I hope to tell you a story about Bunraku puppeteers and how they suddenly literally arrived in Maine about a week after I had read Expecting Adam. But first, I have to get to South Africa! Let me know if you have any ideas…oh yes, I have pictures of Africa and the starry sky from Van Gogh’s Starry Night on my vision board. And…I didn’t know you paint! Me, too. I look forward to meeting you. Sukie

9. Sandy
    Sandy says:

Beautiful! It’s always exciting, a bit bewildering and truly amazing to realize that God (Source, The One, whatever you choose to call our creator) has been speaking to us all along.

I wish I could say that I always realized this, but the truth is that I find that I am constantly re-learning this lesson in more and more profound ways. I applaud you for realizing that Adam is here for something bigger than you may have originally thought. Clearly he is a blessing not only to your family but to the world.

Recently I’ve been more and more aware that there is a grand plan for me. Apparently now that my children are grown and on their own, I’m listening a bit more to the voices that I have no doubt have been speaking to me my entire life. I don’t mean that I’m going to become or do something earth changing, but that there is a plan, something that I can and should be thinking about and doing. It’s very exciting to try to learn and to pay attention.

Thank you for reminding me that there is a purpose for each and every one of us. The people in our lives are there for a reason, as are the animals and the experiences that we go through.

Your story is moving on so many levels, thanks so much for continuing to share. I will certainly continue to read.

Sandy

10. Jenni
    Jenni says:

I share the sentiments of James.

“I am what is euphemistically refered to in South Africa as a “previously advantaged person”, 56 year old female. I AM AN AFRICAN.

I have walked the African soil all of my life. I have encountered visions and dreams for this wonderful place. I have longed for change in this wonderful country and have been blessed to see the change happening.

Then the shadows began to fall, the earth people lost their worth and began to grow rich. The riches they had so longed for brought with them the loss of their souls. Greed and power took over and we began our downward spiral.

I have dreamed of an Africa of peace, where mankind can live side by side assisting one another. I have dreamed of a land where animals where kept safe and allowed to live out their lives in the beauty of the surrounds.

I have seen rainbows, sunrises and sunsets which leave one breathless. I have been in the wilderness in the dark of the night and looked up at the heavens and been amazed at the night sky. The heavens are awash with lights, grouped together and those apart. I have been in the wilderness when the moon has been full it was as if someone had switched on the heavenly floodliths.

I have been blessed beyond belief – yes, I am a previously advantaged person living in South African in fact every person born in Africa is advantaged not because of their skin colour because of the beauty of the Earth. We cannot and must not lose sight of “rebuilding Eden.”

There is great poverty and injustice in Africa and it will get worse as we move more and more into development of land. Development does not bring wealth it takes away the natural wealth of the people.

I dream of being coached and coaching others in the beauty of this beautiful country. Taking lessons out of the wilderness has been our families way. I believe in Africa – I am an African dreamer.

11. Patricia
    Patricia says:

Dear Martha,
    Every time one of your wonderful messages arrive I have just finished doing something that is related…today I just finished reading Kim Edwards’ book, “The Memory Keeper’s Daughter”, a book of fiction with a powerful rendition of a character with Down syndrome. Everyone in the end learns from her and is humbled by her existence.
    Thank you for your commentary on Adam.

Patricia

12. Azzah Suhayr
    Azzah Suhayr says:

I am so grateful that you are blogging Martha!
    Actually I am thrilled for I have followed your wonderful work since I became a coach in 2004 and never fail to be uplifted and inspired. I know in my heart that one day we will meet. It is our destiny for we are both on The Way.

I would also like to respond to James if I may be so bold, for I must be your other hand. Although I live in beautiful Vancouver Canada and lived a charmed childhood I too am moved to tears by beauty, music, works of art and the sound of the human voice performing Opera. I too also enjoy Jimmy Hendrix and can tell you where I was when I heard that he had died. I too read prolifically ( I call myself a readaholic!) and I too am constantly learning something new. And, believe it or not, I too am 58 years young. I do know however, what it is you need to be doing and that is nothing less than filling your heart with love and gratitude. I know you and all the others on the Team will be deeply moved by the work of Masaru Emoto. That is my gift of sharing to you all today.
    Kissez
    A

13. Christy Cuellar-Wentz
    Christy Cuellar-Wentz says:

Hi Martha and other fellow Team-members!

Again with the chills all along my body and the tears watching the STAR Africa video over and over. Wow. Up until now, most people have thought my family and I are quite strange to have made a clear, intentional choice to live as close as possible to the WILD areas in the Pacific Northwest.

I mean, what on Earth are we doing with two small children, living with bear, lynx, cougar and elk in our backyard? They seem to think we have given up civilization, when in fact, we are embracing the energy of wholeness that wells up and overflows for anyone with eyes to see and ears to hear.

I love people, and I reach out daily through the miracle of satellite internet and my website. I use every high-tech connectivity tool I can to live my calling in the world of humans. And when I take a break from that, I go “upstairs” (outside, a good brisk walk up the hill to the barn!) and milk our goats. For reals. Which normally blows people’s minds. But probably not yours, because you understand.

So what an absolute delight to witness the unfolding of your process, Martha, and everyone else who is writing. Keep it up!

Hugs,
    Christy (aka “Mommy-Muse”)

14. Christy Cuellar-Wentz
    Christy Cuellar-Wentz says:

Hello again Martha and other Team-members,

I thought I was done for the night, but I wasn’t quite finished. I’ve been thinking about how important it is for all of us to PAY ATTENTION to the information being sent to us, just as Martha says, whether or not the source seems to be significant or not.

Case in point: I knew at least 12 years before I had my first child that she would be a girl, and that her name was Amara. When I was pregnant with her, living in a major metropolitan area, I tuned in and asked if she had any messages for me.

She showed me an AERIAL view of the forested areas I live in now (which I have never flown over), which I loved and was heartbroken to leave as a child, and told me that was where she wanted to grow up. This didn’t make any conventional sense at all, as there didn’t seem to be any way to earn a decent income up here!

Amara also told me that day that we’d get along fine as long as I remembered she was her own person. This makes me smile, because she has always had a strong personality from the moment she arrived in this world 🙂

So keep paying attention. You may not know where your next clue will come from, but I absolutely guarantee it is on its way!

Warmly,
    Christy

15. Kris Plachy
    Kris Plachy says:

One more word on the blessing of Adam’s birth… had he not arrived, who would you be? And without his arrival, how many of us would not have the experience of knowing, learning and dreaming because of you… Thank you to Adam for joining our world, so that all of us may know of and learn from Martha Beck! His presence is a gift to us all… 🙂

16. Maryann Lowry
    Maryann Lowry says:

Always an inspiration to read whatever you write, Martha. I’m so glad that you featured Adam in your blog entry. I was blessed to work with “trainable mentally handicapped students” during the first few years of my career in special ed. That term is taboo today and they would be called “developmentally delayed” or “life skills class students”.

The word “trainable” was very appropriate though. Not for the children, but for me the “trainable teacher”, as I was referred to by title. That was so absolutely right on target. There was a magic in that classroom. They were my teachers. I was touched by their spirtis and souls in such a unique way. I became part of the team, as they allowed their “trainable teacher” to enter their world and see things magically through their eyes.

I’m still “trainable”. In my dream last week, the elevator opened for me to go to the next floor. It was filled with giraffes, hypos and elephants. I calmly walked in and enjoyed traveling with them to wherever we were going.

The lives of children with special needs are such a gift to all of us. I’m so thankful that you were touched to allow Adam to enter the world. We’re missing some incredibly gifted individuals, because of “untrainable” people, who don’t value what children with special needs bring into the world.

Blessings,
    Mary Ann

17. Nancy Meinhardt
    Nancy Meinhardt says:

hi dear Martha, and Team,
    We move at dawn. Fun to say. Turquoise Christmas lights twinkling outside my window as I blog by our modern-day fireplace.

My 16 year old son Kevin is playing and listening music and just came out of his room to say I just love this song so much with so much love.

Hard to believe that in the morning, it was a whole other story when he parked the car in the fire lane while unloading the music equipment at school, then forgot to move the car…bottomline, we get a call in the morning re: citation etc. No call from the school to inform me if he’s in trouble, so while walking into work, I was just loaded with anxiety. I think to myself I need to work my thought process… Needless to say I got through it, and now listening to him sing so happy.

Martha, to follow the will of Heaven, to follow the fun. I like that alot. We love you so much, and what a cute photo of you. :] Thank you for taking the risk, and making a modern-day fireplace for us to sit and chat. Hope to meet you again someday. Love, Nancy
    ps. Boston Public’s final show is on TV tonight I think, and then I think Amy Sedaris is on Jimmie Kimmel; she’s kind of funny, and I think she’s following her North Star. See ya, Trix Meinhardt

18. rowena
    rowena says:

“Tell them they’re good. Tell them it’s all good.”

It’s possible Adam is my Adam today.

Sometimes, I need to remember that this is part of the process, and there are things to learn here, too, while caring for my little children, even if it seems to take me out of my path. Me and my toddlers? We seem to be going at different speeds, on different paths, and trying to sync it all gets overwhelming.

This just reminds me it’s all as it should be.

19. jenny
    jenny says:

Martha –

I love reading your blogs – today it reminded me to look for signs that things are on track.

When I read your original post about teammembers I wondered if I was one because I’ve never had any affinity for animals. In fact I’m allergic to a ton of them so I’m not around them much.

But reading this post reminded me that my red haired son once pointed out a cardinal to me and said “mommy that bird is just like me!”. Ever since then I’ve felt an affintiy to cardinals. I see them all them time in our urban yard and for some reason it always seems like a sign to me that I am on the right track. I’m not sure what the track is but I when I see the cardinals I get a sense that everything is okay.

I think it’s equally as important to recognize the clues that maybe you are not on the right track – today I had a day where I left my wallet somewhere, had car problems, my cellphone died, and I backed my car into my garage, and to me these were all signs that something must be off kilter.

Jenny

20. Sheila
    Sheila says:

OK- I need to tell a story. I’ll also write it in my journal, but my journal and I are getting sick of me. So…

I have always wanted a girl. I have two boys. I have not wanted my two boys. It’s just that I want a girl, too. I almost 40. My youngest is almost 6. Time is ticking. I have been noncommital. I can find every reason to move forward- we’re all sleeping through the night, I have free time, we fit into a hotel room…But then there is the other thought that nags me- there is someone waiting to come into this world. Waiting very patiently. That someone is a girl. And her name is Grace. My husband doesn’t know about any of this.

Grace was never on our short list (or our long one for that matter). We had names like “Alison” (with one l) and “Erin”. They are pretty names but there was never an “A-Ha!” moment. Just pretty names. I know with certainty that “Grace” is the right name.

Fast forward…I have tons of dreams about having a girl. Not surprising since I want one but don’t have one. Last night I had another one. In the dream, the girl’s name was “Eva”. This confused me when I woke up because I don’t really like the name. It is a lovely name, but I still don’t care for it. I was really concerned about Eva being OK when she was born. In the dream, the Dr. pronounced her OK and then took another look. He saw a dark mass in her eye (left one I think). He said it may impair her sight. I kept saying, “She has to be able to see, she has to be able to see.”

I wake up. I think about the dream off and on. I start reading Martha’s blog about Adam and it makes me think that maybe “Eva” has a meaning. I get in the shower. I write the name “Grace K——” on the steamy door. I write in cursive and the G looks like an S. It looks beautiful.

I write the name “Eva” above it. It doesn’t look as nice. I think that maybe if I switch up the letters, it will reveal something. Guess what? There aren’t alot of combinations for “Eva”. I start to do the same with “Grace” but know that there is no point. I’m not supposed to mix up “Grace”. And then I think that maybe they go together- that both words will send their message as one. Now remember, “Grace” looks like “Srace” because of the way my cursive came out. What do you see when you put “Eva” and “Srace” together? Do you see it?

SAVE RACE!!!

It was a synchronistic moment for me, complete with shivering tingles. Remember, I had been reading Martha’s blog. So, I go downstairs and look up “Eva” on the computer. Guess what it means?…”Life” and “Animal”. Again the shivering tingles. Martha’s entry about South Africa popped into my mind.

So there’s my story about Saving the Race, Life and Animals. I’m not sure what it all means, but it seems pretty big!

21. sandra kay, tvgp
    sandra kay, tvgp says:

let the record show “i’m on your team!”

share here the poem i mailed out with my christmas cards:

YOU ARE NOT THAT

you are not your pretty face
    you are not your scars

you are not the house you keep
    you are not your car

you are not your business card
    your illness or your health

you are a cherished child of God
    ever~green, beloved.

you are not what others think
    based on current trends

you are loved day in, day out
    on purpose, without end

if they stuck you in a mud pit
    or covered you in jewels

or plopped you in a foreign land
    without any foreign tools

if they placed you on a pedestal
    then kicked you off for fun

none of this
    is who you are
    in the eyes of God.

you are not your ignorance
    and you are not your knowledge

you are a cherished child of God
    ever~green, beloved.

-sandra kay, tvgp WriteousMom.com

22. Patti
    Patti says:

Martha-

I believe in mystical connections … in energy and in much more on this earth than we can physically explain. I happened upon your blog purely by a few accidental clicks on the computer, but then I am so thrilled to have found it. I immediately began reading about “the team” and feeling a connection to a group of people that I haven’t yet met but know that I will.

I’ve been journaling for about a year now searching for deeper meaning in my life and have made some astounding soul connections through this journal. I have long believed in miracles… I’ve been helped through life by too many miraculous occurances not to be a believer. But, I’ve never read a more comforting description of miracles than in the book “Expecting Adam”. I’ve read it numerous times and have shared it with many friends… which I must admit has been met with mixed results. One friend who is a published author and retired social worker returned the book with piles of printed pages negating nearly everything that you wrote… and some friends just give me a quizocal expression when I ask what they thought of the book.

I know that people are in all levels of awareness on this earth, and that some writing of depth is simply not believable to most people, this is why I’m thrilled to have found this blog and to be reading about the team. I also am a person that has had many many jobs but no real occupation. At times in my life I’ve really been out on a limb financially, and yet miraculously enough I always find work and I always, always have enough.

I’ve always had a soul connection to the earth. As a young girl growing up in suburban Phila I felt like a fish out of water; so as soon as I could I moved west. At 18 I had lived in Montana, Wyoming and Utah and I eventually settled down and received a degree in Geology. I now live in a sleepy community in the mountains of West Virginia where my husband and I are beginning to try our hand at organic farming… but the desire to be involved in helping the earth and her people on a larger level has never left my soul.

I’m intrigued by what I’ve read about “The Team” and I know as of this moment that I will be meeting other team members and experiencing more sychronistic moments than I ever thought possible.

With love in my heart-
    Patti

23. Amanda
    Amanda says:

I just want to thank Sheila for her post. You and I have a lot in common.

I also always thought I would have a little girl (who looked like me). I also had a dream in which I realized her sight was damaged in some way. I also have two little boys, no girls.

My husband and I had a girl’s name picked out before we ever tried to get pregnant – you know the name was Eva Grace! Eva is for my husband’s paternal grandmother and Grace for my paternal grandmother. When we found out that our child would be a son, I told my husband that I loved the name Michael. He did not really like the name. Then one day, listening to Lauren Hill, I said to my husband – what about Zion . . . what about Michael Zion? And we knew it was right. And so does he – he loves to remind us that his names mean, “Sword of the Lord” and “City of God.” And the joy of my world is in Zion!

Flash forward: Two years later I was pregnant again and we hoped again for a girl. We had a midwife, no ultrasounds. I kept calling the baby Eva. The midwife kept calling the baby “he.” So we decided to come up with another boy name. We like my Dad’s name, Daniel. So we came up with a name that went with it, Eli. So now the baby was “Baby E.” And of course, he was a boy and his name is Eli Daniel. And we knew it was right. Eli isn’t as attached to the meaning of his names, “Acsenion/My God” and “God is my Judge.” And in case you are wondering, we are not Jewish but we were both raised LDS. In fact, I first met Martha at BYU. Oh, one more note. Eli looks just like me.

Flash foward. One year later, I am diagnosed with a rare plancental site tumor that is speading throughout my uterus. It grows too slowly to be fought effectively with chemo or radiation. If it spreads beyond the uterus it will go straight to my most vital organs. So I have a hysterectomy. And I think, no Eva Grace.

Flash forward one more time. I read your post, Sheila. I am amazed at your dream. I write this post. And I shed a few tears. I have no idea what it all means, but I feel blessed by your sharing and I hope you, in turn, are blessed by mine.

24. Laura
    Laura says:

I hear you – my ‘smoke signals’ have definitely been becoming more blatant recently. Not only just weird coincidences, vivid dreams, and subtle reminders – but I’ve felt like I’m literally in leadership boot camp. In the past few months I’ve been in more and more situations that have basically forced me to stand up and pick a side (whether to stand up for the little guy or for myself as the little guy lol) – even if I was the only one on it. I’ve lost and gained so much and I’m still trying to wrap my head around it all. But I agree – the Universe is in total ‘Crunch Time’ and it’s no time to be timid.

25. Sam
    Sam says:

Hi Martha

I have just finished reading your book about Adam. It is wonderful. I have recently sadly lost my daughter toward the end of my pregnancy in January this year and some of the experiences you wrote about so beautifully have really helped me to see my loss in a different way and try to find the gifts my little girl April brought to our lives.

Many thanks and hugs,
    Sam

PS. Adam is very handsome

26. JoAnn
    JoAnn says:

Your book was amazing. i just barely fininshed it. Just thought you should know that you should consider yourself very lucky to have a son like Adam. He is truly a blessing.

27. Carolyn Quixley
    Carolyn Quixley says:

I was told while expecting my daughter that she would be Downs – (she is not, and now 7 years old) – we educated ourselves and found ourselves blessed either way . We live in Adelaide Australia which has one of the most advanced forward thinking Downs Syndrome Societys in the world, I took my son tothe DS playgroups and learnt the reality of living with Downs – like I said either way we knew we were blessed.
    The b est information we were given was “dont read anything about Downs that is more than 3 years old, the early intervention these days makes such a difference- and like you said Martha – they are not retarded – they are different.
    Id still like to know what happened to John.

28. Jessica
    Jessica says:

“And out of the ground God formed every beast of the field, and every fowl of the air; and brought them unto Adam…. And Adam gave names to all cattle, and to the fowl of the air, and to every beast of the field.” Your team member is cool. Nice post.

29. Shelly Dixon
    Shelly Dixon says:

Blown away…my expression for the tingly sensation when something out of the ordinary happens…I am right at the point in the book where you and John reveal you both had the name Adam in mind. In my mind…I am seeing Adam as an angel … one who came here to open everything…as you mention in the above post and also around the world to people such as myself. To look at the world with open eyes, and open hearsts and open hands to see the world in a new way to touch our own worlds so we can all do our part in healing Eden. Much Love, Shelly