“Escape from the Man Cage” Workshop
April 25-27, 2014
North Star Ranch, San Luis Obispo, CA
Join Martha and Master Coaches Koelle Simpson & Michael Trotta for this workshop for men only.
Martha talks about this event:
“To many men, this feels like the most hopeless time in history. They are pushed to become sensitive, loving caregivers and also to be aggressive, individualist competitors. They are forced to crush their natural abilities into a tiny stifling existence I call “The Man Cage”. Then they are told that The Man Cage is shrinking: jobs are scarce! Options are limited! Do whatever it takes to grab the little piece of the man cage you can still reach! ENOUGH ALREADY!!
From where I stand this is the most hopeful time in history for men (as well as women). It is a time when David can beat Goliath. It’s a time when the true nature of each man can be realized rather than crushed. For God’s sake, get yourself (or the man you love) out to California so we can teach you (or him) how to navigate the crazy demands of being male in the 21st Century with your internal compass, rather than succumbing to the pressure of an impossible culture.
- A “For Men Only” event with Martha Beck.
- This workshop will combine nature, connection with animals, movement and coaching to help you tap into and navigate life using your own internal compass.
- A rare opportunity to be coached by Martha Beck and Master Coaches Koelle Simpson and Michael Trotta within a small group setting (no more than 12 participants).
- Three days of activity at Martha’s North Star Ranch.
- Fire has forever been the symbol of passion and of life. Learn how to make real fire, without the matches or kerosene.
- Find out how tracking animals can be used to activate your own inner awareness.
- Wander in the woods and discover how your relationship with the outdoors can help you reclaim your own true nature.
- Experience a day horse whispering and learn how they act as living biofeedback mechanisms allowing you to feel when you are “in the zone.” (And out.)
- Leave feeling hopeful and with specific action steps that will allow you to begin living your authentic life.
This workshop is for you if these questions and thoughts keep you up at night:
- “How the hell did I get here? And, what the hell should I do now?”
- “I can’t do what I want, I have to support my family.”
- “I can’t take time away from work and family for something like this–I don’t even know what I want.”
- “What’s my purpose?”
- “What’s my role in my relationship now that my significant other is living their purpose?”
- “Everyone else seems to understand their purpose, but I don’t.”
- “I’m trapped.”
- “I’m stuck.”
- “I feel lost but I have to look like I know what I’m doing.”
And now perhaps you’re thinking, “This nature-stuff is nice and all, but how does this translate into my daily life?” Glad you asked! Here’s what you’ll gain from this workshop:
- Concrete ways to tap into your own internal compass so you can navigate real life while staying true to yourself.
- Dissolution of the negative belief systems which make up the bars of your man cage and prevent you from being clear about what you want and how to get it.
- Learn how to put your imagination in service of your mission, and for developing viable strategies for creating the life you want.
- Activate your inherent tracking instincts and use them to move toward your life’s purpose.
- Hone your resilience, fortitude and problem-solving skills that will help you in daily life.
- Understand how spending time outside gives you insights about your own true nature.
Martha talks about her new home on California’s Central Coast:
“Because not everyone can come to Africa with me, I’ve spent the last couple of years searching for a place with the same magical ‘charge’ I’ve experienced at Londolozi. If you’ve been to the Central Coast, you already know it’s a mystical nature-lover’s dream. If you’ve never visited, you have a ridiculously gorgeous treat in store. The beauty and wildness of the land, the abundance of wildlife, and the convenience of the location make it the best of the wild and civilized worlds.”
All three days of this event will take place at Martha’s North Star Ranch, approximately 45 minutes outside San Luis Obispo.
SLO (pronounced “slow”, cool huh?) is smack-dab in the middle of California’s breathtaking Central Coast. You will need to fly into San Luis Obispo or one of the nearby airports below and drive/shuttle to Pismo Beach if you choose to stay at the Seacrest Oceanfront Hotel.
Nearest airports and drive times:
- San Luis Obispo does have its own small regional airport so you can find a direct or connecting flight.
- San Jose: 3+ hour drive time.
- Santa Barbara: 1 hour, 45 minute drive. (lovely drive up highway 101!).
We recommend the Seacrest Oceanfront Hotel at Pismo Beach for a mix of location and affordability. http://www.seacrestpismo.com/
In the event that the Seacrest is full, here are two additional hotels within walking distance for easy access to the shuttle to the ranch:
Best Western PLUS Shore Cliff Lodge
2555 Price St.
Pismo Beach, CA 93449
Phone: (805) 773-4671
Pismo Lighthouse Suites
2411 Price St.
Pismo Beach, CA 93449
Schedule and Logistics
Friday, April 25th through Sunday, April 27th
Friday: 10 am to 5:30 pm — lunch provided.
Saturday: 10 am to 5 pm — lunch provided.
Sunday: 10 am to 1 pm
There will be daily shuttle service to and from North Star Ranch each day. So if you’re staying at or near the Seacrest Oceanfront Hotel, a rental car won’t be necessary.
* Breakfast, dinner, lodging, and airfare are not included in the workshop fee.
More detailed information will be provided upon registration.
This event sold out. Please join the interest list (or update your preferences) for first notice of future events.
Space is limited to no more than 12 men.
*Note: Air travel, rental car, lodging, breakfast, gratuities and any incidentals are not included in the registration fee.
If you cancel no later than February 28, 2014, 50% of the registration fee will be refunded. No refunds will be issued for cancellations received after February 28, 2014. In the unfortunate event you cannot attend, you may attempt to “sell” your spot to someone else prior to the start of the event.
Koelle Simpson is a horse whisperer and life coach. Her message has made profound impact on leaders, corporations, and change agents around the world from South Africa, Europe, UAE, Canada, and the United States. Koelle has had rare opportunities to apprentice with exceptional teachers, such as the best-selling author and horse trainer Monty Roberts, as well as internationally acclaimed life coach, best-selling self-help author and columnist at O Magazine, Dr. Martha Beck. Yet, the most life changing teachers of all came from those with four legs instead of two, most especially horses. Her mission in life is to return the gift by helping others rebuild trust in themselves and unleash the powerful leader within each of us.
Michael Trotta, MPS, is a father, husband, storyteller, natural learning specialist, certified elementary and special education teacher (k-12), master coach, founder of Sagefire Institute, American folk artist, survival skills expert, tracker, student of native cultures and the Hero’s Journey, proud dyslexic, writer and curriculum developer, facilitator of both men’s and boy’s rites of passage programs, community builder, coffee lover (the cheap kind), obsessed with cultural repair, creator of multiple transformative coaching and mentoring programs and… an all-around swell guy who values his quiet time as much as he digs opportunities for authentic conversations with others who want to leave the world a better place than they found it.