The New Normal…Insight from Martha

Disclaimer: CAUTION! You will either like this post, or comment to yourself that I have truly climbed off the crazy station and onto the crazy train. So if crazy doesn’t work for you, just stop now.

So I just got back from yet another delicious and astonishing experience, this one at a ranch in Montana owned by a dear friend. This is the same place where I experienced the original Pronghorn event. This year, because I now know that Pronghorns frequent the area, I decided to up the ante: “Wolves!” I thought to myself. It’s WAY harder to attract a wolf than a Pronghorn. Then I realized this was a ridiculous thought, since calling a wild wolf requires exactly the same amount of effort as calling a Pronghorn—in other words, practically nothing.

When I got to the ranch, I asked if there were any wolves living in the area. My friend said she thought a few had been seen 18 months prior. I invited everyone in the group to call in some wolves…and at 9 o’clock that night, guess who started howling outside the cabin? Oh yes they did! Some people heard them all night long. I, like an idiot, got too attached and did not hear them myself. Damn you, tenacious ego! Still, it was one hell of a “coincidence.”

Oh, and by the way, the day the whales came (see last “Insight from Martha”), it was covered INTERNATIONALLY. My friends in Africa saw it and called to tell me they figured I was on that beach.

This is all so normal.

But enough with my obsessive animal stories! The point is that I am experiencing what many of you are, too: an increasingly powerful conviction that what we once thought of as the world “out there” is in fact as intimately connected to each of us as our own heart. On one hand, my own physical body feels more and more like an animal that happily lives its life without obeying any of my conscious intentions; on the other hand, my consciousness feels capable of creating physical events that seem distant and impossible.

In Expecting Adam, I wrote about a moment when, exhausted, sick, and heartbroken, I sent out the thought “I just can’t do this. Maybe you should drive.” I didn’t know what I was talking to, and I still don’t. But whatever it was, it surrounded me with an inexplicable sweetness. It picked up my heart and held it like a baby. Ever since, there have been moments when I have climbed out of the driver’s seat, only to grab for control again when my inner lizard raised its fearful, scaly head.

These days, I simply don’t feel like driving. The passenger seat is much more fun. I watch my own body and mind playing ecstatically with the illusion of form.

Have I lost you yet? If so, I respectfully and lovingly do not care.

Recently, several clients have told me that they have an odd sense of being disconnected from their bodies. They still feel sensations, but find themselves acting strangely in their own eyes. They have stopped driving. The journey has been taken over by what we, in our coaching system, call their essential self. Some people seem to be able to stop this from happening deliberately, others invite and enjoy it, and others, weirdly, are observing it as it happens to them without any conscious decisions on their part. I’m sure this has always been possible, but I’m just warning you: these days, our essential selves are growing more and more powerful. The blissful game of consciousness clothed in matter is getting faster and more delicious. So if this is happening to you, and it’s freaking you out, relax. Let the wolves drive.

Comments

1. SUSAN says

I ATTEST TO THE POWER OF HAVING FAITH IN A HIGHER PURPOSE AND PERHAPS LETTING GO OF THE DRIVERS WHEEL IS AN APT METAPHOR OF THIS. LATELY WHEN I FEEL FEARFUL AND THE NEED TO CONTROL SITUATIONS, MY ANXIETY COMPELS ME TO HANG ON EVEN TIGHTER. IT IS ALSO HARD TO LET GO WHEN YOU FEAR OTHERS LIKE YOUR KIDS NEED YOU TO KEEP THEIR WELL BEING IN TACT. AS MY CHILDREN GROW INTO ADULTHOOD I SO WANT TO LET GO OF THAT WHEEL. BUT I SEE THEIR VULNERABILITY AND THEIR NIAVITY. HOW DO WE LET GO OFF THE WHEEL AND NOT BE OVERTAKEN BY ANXIETY?

2. Dene' says

I have spent alot of time making a huge effort to explain to those who do not share my intuitive sensitivy. Prove nothing to no one! I have called the dolphins for years and they came!

3. Bryant Tate says

Martha: Please do not think I am a wacko. Due to limited space I will say this as briefly as possible. There is only one true God. Just God. No sons. No saints. One God who is very displeased with mankind and is starting a change. A change that will slowly result in mankind possessing his Light and living by His only “commandment” which is treat others as you want them to treat you. The first person to possess this Light is your son Adam. He is the first to spread the joy of God to others; you know better than any the peace he brings just by being. The voice you heard during the really bad time(s) of pregnancy was God’s. Wish I had time/space to tell you more.

4. Julia says

Hey Martha, great article, thank you! I will try calling animals, too and see what happens! I love what you bring to the world :)
    Don’t be worried about people who see you as some kind of saint (see message above). In my opinion, if you can do that, I can, too. We are all human and we’re on the team! Yay!

All the best,

Julia

5. Corey says

With tears in my eyes and incredible relief in my heart I read this…urged on along by the wolf & pronghorn energy (as I grew up with it in that part of the country) and pulled forward by Martha’s comment that this posting might feel a bit crazy to some. I have had these spontaneous experiences from my soul self or essential self and they have truly freaked me out! I have gone to great lengths to hide, ignore, discredit them. And now I find out I’m not the only one?!?!?! Halle-freaking-llujah!!!! Thank you for your courage Martha….and others….for sharing, for helping to create the “sacred space” for all of us to express our most authentic and true nature! Namaste’

6. Wendy says

Yay! Thanks for writing this. For me, the willingness to “not drive” has been the big shift of the last 12 months. And I’m getting happier and happier, on the whole.

I bought your book “Finding your way in a wild new world” with a book token I got for Christmas and I’m now on my third time of reading it. I don’t think I’ve EVER read a book 3 times through, one after the other.I’m finding what you say so helpful. Thanks so much for sharing these kinds of off-the-weird-meter experiences – it’s very reassuring.

I love this. I’m on a journey with my health…and the more I try to let my ego drive, the less healthy I am (physically and mentally). It’s been SUPER fun to watch life from the passenger seat and let the control be elsewhere (god? goddess? universe? Whoever it is…”they” are GOOD).

8. Katharine says

Ok. This is completely happening to me. To be honest it’s been ongoing for awhile. So though I am the super planner and organizer I am giving up the driver seat to the wolf. I catch myself glancing over to the wolf-driver and see that “look” on its face and wonder, “Hey. Exactly where are you taking me?” Then there’s that breathy snicker sound…or maybe it’s just heavy breathing, not sure. In any case something is happening, moving, and I sense the wolf knows where to go. So now I’m paying attention to the scenery.

Trackbacks