When in Drought…Insight from Martha

when in droughtLast year was the first I spent in California. Having come from the desert, I was all excited about the winter greenness, the rains that always come in October…okay, November…well, FOR SURE in December…or absolutely in…January?

Or not.

This is the first time in recorded history that the rain has not come at all. The forest I love is gray and stark. I swear I can feel things dying.

I was getting rather testy with God about this when a thing happened.

Jeanette Trompeter, a journalist and pal of Master Coach Jill Farmer, asked to interview me for the local news. We did the interview, then I forgot all about it. Several weeks later, I happened to flip on the TV exactly in time to catch the segment about me. Jeanette then told the weatherman how worried I was about the drought. The man in the magic box faced me and said, “Martha, stop worrying about the drought.”

I know! Right?

It still hasn’t rained. That’s how these things work. When I was deep in debt, I got winks that said “Stop worrying about money.” It arrived…eventually. When I was “incurably” ill, I got winks that said “You’ll get well.” I did…eventually. The good stuff didn’t happen when I wanted it to, but it happened. And in the meantime, these loving messages from the universe helped me drop useless anxiety.

Try this: Think of a current “drought” in your life. For 10 minutes, just trust that it will all be okay. Trust that you’re being guided. Trust, against all odds and evidence, that you are safe.

When I use this exercise on my drought fears, the strangest thing happens: I feel it raining inside myself. I become a microcosm of the life-giving rain that, someday, will bring California back to life. Or so I trust.

EDITOR’S NOTE: A week after Martha wrote this, it started raining in California.

Comments

I couldn’t agree more. Even a slight change in perspective can actually bring a very big change, thus, the rain here in California! Me, my plants, and every living thing around – we’re soaking it all up. Thanks :)

Thank you Martha, i will trust that i will be ok despite all odds. Somehow your blog posts always make me burst into tears in the strangest manner, so does your books by the way. Thank you for helping me finding my way through hell
    :-)

I observed through the drought that led to the biggest fire in Texas history, and wiped out over 100 trees on the 10 acres surrounding our home, that I suffered most in my resistance to the suffering I could not ease, resistance to the IDEA of unnecessary loss, untimely death. Once the trees had died, however, my only choice was acceptance and I moved thru the natural grief process… finding two years later that in a hidden corner dozens of baby pines were not only alive but flourishing as the rains have returned.

4. Marcia says

Timely blog! Life in cycles, right? I appreciate what you write, because you have risen above so many experiences in your life that might have taken another person to the mat. Thank you!!

5. Delia says

It is tough to not worry. We disciples of Martha Beck KNOW not to worry. But even when you were in debt, was it as bad as some of us who are STILL unemployed, have lost our unemployment and now can’t pay the bills? those bills that have deadlines/due dates? I am practicing faith and wordlessness and trusting that I am being guided. But what happens when my phone, gas, electricity and such get cut off?

6. Claire says

Exactly what I needed to hear and the reason I visited your site tonight. I thought I may have to search and scroll through dozens of articles and posts before finding just the positive message I needed. The very first thing I read was this, hey presto! Just like that :)
    Thank you for the reminder that all will be well Martha. I shall sleep well tonight I know. Just needed that loving gentle reminder :)

7. Jennifer says

I gave up 30 years of counselling, art therapy, working with refugees and survivors of PTSD. Serving took it’s toll. I got my blood pressure sorted, lost 10 kilos and exercised daily, walked my son to school. I no longer have nightmares about an untenable work environment. But there’s drought because I cannot return to that work, and long to know who I am now. And my husband’s job is at risk, so I need to wrangle that wild goal . I know martha, and a lot of you , are brave and mindful. So I try to be,too. Waiting for that wink!

8. Kathleen Cunningham says

You are my favorite writer. You never disappoint me. When ever I see something that has been written by you, a small little voice says of yippy I’m about to feel better. Thank you martha